ABSTRACTS from “The Carthaginian”, published at Carthage, NC. (reprinted from November 1986 MCGS newsletter):
In West End, NC, the CULDEE Presbyterian Church celebrated its 100th anniversary with a big Homecoming program on Sep 21. An article by Woodrow Wilhoit in the Southern Pines PILOT of Sep 25th 1985 described the historic occasion. He described a petition signed on the 7th of April 1886 at Lumber Bridge presented to the Fayetteville Presbytery asking for a church to be organized. The list given in his article shows a preponderance of Scottish names and may be of interest to our readers. Some were M D McCrummen, D P McDonald, Margaret Vuncannon, W S Bailey, M L Morris, J L McKeithen, and several Blues, Wickers, McKenzies, McNeills and Pattersons.
A SKETCH OF THE HISTORY, CHRONICLES AND RECORDS OF MINERAL SPRINGS CHURCH (originally transcribed and indexed by Marie Smith Gordon; reprinted from September 1988 MCGS Newsletter): Mineral Springs Presbyterian Church is today known as Jackson Springs (North Carolina) Presbyterian Church. The Founding Elders and early members lived along Drowning Creek which separates Moore County from Montgomery and Richmond Counties. They were descendants of a group of Scots who chose to side with the British in the American Revolution. In about 1813 the Scots near Mineral Springs started holding church services there during the summer months. In 1819 the Rev John Paterson organized the church and ordained the following Elders: Duncan Patterson, Kenneth Clark, Malcolm McCrummen and Hugh McDonald. The minutes of the church record trials for drunkeness, slander and several other offenses that would not draw much attention today. Scots taking the most room in the index are Bailey, Black, Brown, Campbell, Clark, Curry, Dawkins, Graham, McCaskill, McDonald, McFarland, McInnis, McKay, Monroe, Patterson, Ray, Robeson and Stewart. These are descendants of people mentioned in the Rev Caruthers book – “Wade, Culp and Captain Bogan came down into this country to avenge the Piney Bottom Massacre. They tortured Piper Patterson who lived in Richmond County opposite the old Kenneth Clark’s houseplace; and forced him to give up the names of all he knew to be engaged in that crime. It is said that the Piper named Kenneth Clarks’s sons and Alexander McLeod and possibly Daniel McMillian as being implicated in Piney Bottom. Captain Bogan’s men crossed over the creek and killed Alexander McLeod, Daniel McMillian and John Clark. Kenneth Clark was at that time a very old man, but he and his women folks were ordered to bury the corpses by the next day.” [Note: Mrs. Gordon published A SKETCH OF THE HISTORY, CHRONICLES AND RECORDS OF MINERAL SPRINGS CHURCH in 1988 in soft cover. It was 116 pages in length and available for purchase from her. It is now available to read on-line. Just Google the above title.]